Friday, February 22, 2008

Sign of the Apocalypse

Just a note of warning, you are about to enter the full-on rant zone.

Have any of ya'll heard of man caves? An article in my local paper this Wednesday, picked up from the Associated Press, shared a story of a Raleigh, NC husband and wife. The wife had requested a modest backyard shed to pot a few plants in. No biggie. The husband decides that he is going to expand on the idea to create a "man cave" for himself—somewhere that he can go and hang with his buddies, watch the game and get some alone time. Because his 3,550 square foot, five bedroom, one bonus room house didn't give him the room for that. WTF!

Many of you may know this about me, or may have been figuring it out from my previous posts, but certain things really raise the hair on the back of my neck. There is no explaining it really, but things like minivans with dvd players and prepackaged cereal and milk combos so kids can assemble their own breakfasts, to me are like the devil incarnate stepping into my home.

I get that many people, including some of my beloved readers and close, dear, personal friends, find these modern conveniences a god send. I know they are marketed as making our complicated lives easier. And maybe they do. 

I guess my point is that I don't think we need to make life easier. Sometimes I think that we, especially we Americans, are too quick to look for the easy way out. Some things are worth a little effort, a little sweat and tears. I know that the things I struggled with, worried over and labored on are the things that I remember much more than the crap that came easily to me or that I threw together in a pinch. That is a value that I want to pass on to my child, not that he needs a man cave to escape from his family and oversize McMansion.

No comments: