Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Pop Culture Musing


Anyone remember this show? Square Pegs. While I have to admit that much more than the basic premise of the show escapes me, the fact that this was the jumping off point, at least in my eyes, for Sarah Jessica Parker's career.


Now why this occurred to me I don't know, but I started thinking about SJP and her later stint on Sex and the City. Her character there was sort of a glamazon that frankly I doubt many of us can really relate to on a day-to-day basis. But the show was a hit. Maybe it was the fantasy element of women wishing their lives were being lived in a big city, with expensive shoes, etc. or maybe, just maybe, SJP and by extension her character Carrie Bradshaw, were getting a bit of a subconscious free pass b/c of our collective teenage remembrance of her as a geeky, awkward 80's teen.

Those days have passed—obviously.

Just a bit of pop culture for you to ponder today while we await the Super Tuesday results.

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

ah yes, i remember square pegs. i was totally in love with the blond guy, johnny.
the valley girl, unkay, she just like, ya know, cracked me up. and who can forget the enthusiastic muffy tepperman?
thanks for the trip down memory lane : 0
square pegs, square pegs, square, square, square pegs (theme song, very deep)