Monday, January 14, 2008

Electoral College Dropout

So for those of you who paid attention during the disastrous 2000 election, you may have heard a little bit about the so-called Electoral College (here's Wikipedia's dissemination on the subject for those who care to be "informed."). Frankly, I am not sure I completely understand all the ends and outs of it.


The nut-nut of the thing is while many of us might have held on to the naive notion that we "elect" a president, that is not in fact actually true. Generally the popular vote (what you and I say) does match with the electoral college voting. But occasionally it doesn't and of course the Gore/Bush 2000 smack down is the most obvious and recent example of this. 


This has led many people to wonder why we continue this fun little tradition. With that in mind, several states have started passing legislation to possibly torpedo the whole she-bang if enough states agree (ha! majority rules!). New Jersey is the latest to jump on board.


I actually, despite the prevalence of a lot of STUPID people in America, like the idea of the voters really picking the president no matter what. Let's take our chances, after all if "we the people" had actually decided the outcome of the 2000 election, Gore may not have a Nobel Prize, but we also wouldn't be in a senseless war, with a tanking economy and a world-wide reputation as a nation of lazy, fat asses who could give a shit. Pardon my French (and pardon me for even mentioning the French!). Although if there is some way we can go back and sue the electoral college that selected our current commander and idiot than I am all for that as well.


And in other news, some awards were handed out and no fancy dresses were worn and a bunch of celebrity types gave birth. Mazal tov!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should tap this subject -- the roomy and I had this conversation tonight. I'm for direct Pelection, he's not. He believes the Ecollege was designed to protect the masses from tyranny (always a good idea); I understood it had to do with efficiency in these vast states. Apparently, it's somewhere inbetween. But today, I don't see how the Ecollege protects from mass hysteria (gay marriage), nor how it could possibly aid slow communication (Hillary had black eye peas for dinner, don't you know). I'm sure arguments could be made for and against -- so I'm waiting (as always I am). --Wez

Rev Wes Isley said...

Yeah, the EC thing is pretty weird and I'm all for dropping it, too. Did you know that Florida has been stripped of all its delegates for the primary? Long story. So doesn't that mean everyone will vote but no one will actually "win?" So why have a primary? And Hillary is the only Democrat on Michigan's ballot. Michigan has lots of delegates so why not more candidates? No idea.

Oh--happy birthday!