Monday, January 7, 2008

Debatable

Well it was quite the weekend for debates. While I must admit, like Ron Paul I skipped the Fox News debates yesterday (I was too busy being a raging feminist rabble rouser) I did watch most of the ABC back-to-back debates Saturday night.


Several things struck me. First the GOP debate, and then there were six:


One, the Republicans can't even insult each other with any panache. McCain was all in Romney's business, (the swipe was about Romney being the "candidate of change" I believe in reference to his many changed stances) which is fine, but he tried to land this one zinger, and not only does he have NO comic timing, I swear he sort of sniggled at the end of it like the cartoon dog Muttley. McCain's delivery was actually more painful than the insult.


Second, did my ears deceive me or did those fools actually try to argue that inflation was the cause of our current healthcare crisis? I know all these guys are loaded, heck you have to be to even run for president in this country, but could they at least PRETEND to get what it is like for those of us who don't make six figures? There are many things affecting our healthcare system in America, but I don't think inflation even makes the top five list of what is wrong. And yes, America may have the best healthcare in the world, but if everyone can't afford it or doesn't have access to it, what good is it doing? Do we really want to be a nation of elites?


Final Republican comment—I want to start a drinking game where you take a shot every time one of them mentions Ronald Reagan or 9/11. Of course, if Guiliani gets shut out of the campaign, my game may fall apart. But unless you have an amazingly high tolerance, I guarantee you will be wasted before the first commercial break.


On to the Democrats, and then there were four:

Let's start with poor, poor Bill Richardson. While it has always been painfully obvious that the news people (and most everyone else for that matter) considers this to be a contest between the Triumvirate, it was never more clear than watching him on the stage. On a side note for his handlers—dear god, tighten the man's tie! The multitude of chins, already make him look a bit schlumpy, but having his tie not meet his collar doesn't help. Did anyone think he was being awfully nice to Hilary? Maybe he is hoping to be VP on her ticket? It would be a nice balance, him being from the southwest. On top of the bonus of his experience and the Hispanic vote he would presumably bring.


Second, building on that prediction, any thoughts on a pairing of Edwards and Obama? For either of them to be the second in command would not be shabby. If luck held and the presidential candidate had 8 years, neither would be too old to consider a run of their own again. Just a thought.


You can definitely see that Edwards and Obama are combining forces to gang up on Clinton. And dang it if they didn't really get under her skin at one point. I can't decide if her showing a flash of anger like that is a good thing (illustrating her ability to fight back) or bad (her losing her cool). My bet is it will be perceived as bad, but who knows.


Finally,  I know that no politician every answers a question as explicitly as I would like (hello, charts and graphs please!), but I can't help feeling that the Democratic candidates actually did provide some answers as to what their specific policies would be. Details were given about healthcare and troop redeployment in Iraq. But the Republicans? Pour me another, I think I heard 9/11 reference! (Maybe ole four-eyed Charlie Gibson—could he have channeled Ben Franklin anymore peering over those spectacles—just asked the Dems better questions??)

Discuss . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't see the debates but from what I've heard, they went as expected. Thank you for your in-depth recap. The Republicans are pretty much hopeless, and for the Democrats, it continues to be "pick on Hillary." Which seems to be working, goshdarn it all.

Sure, an Obama/Edwards ticket might work. Do you think Edwards would settle for second banana again? They would make a great ticket, magnificent even when compared to anything the Republicans can slap together (at least at this point--November is still a long way off!).

Wes

broad minded said...

i say dare to dream in terms of Obama/Edwards. I can't say that I do think he would go for second banana, but like I said, that would put him in a better position to vault to pres in 2016. He would be in his early 60s and have serious experience at that point.

So something to ponder.

creative kerfuffle said...

coupla things. i love reading your blog, though i'm not as politically astute as you : ) the hubs is having fun w/ it as well : )
just between us, he even commented that he has been swept up by obama a few times. i know right? i'll give you time to reread that line : )

and, here is my prediction. if obama doesn't win this time i think he will be the first black president some day.