Monday, June 2, 2008

D-Day

Well tomorrow is it. Or so we hope, although with the latest round of acrimony from the Clinton followers and campaign about the Democratic National Committee's Rules and Bylaws Committee (is it just me or is that one too many committees in the mix?) decision about the Florida and Michigan delegates, ain't nuthin' certain at this point. [Of course the best part is all day long coverage of this nonsense that MSNBC did—even I am not THAT big of a political geek.]

Yes, Clinton won Puerto Rico, which was expected but the turn out was not good, so it really doesn't boost her argument that she is winning the popular vote (and everything I read says that argument requires quite a bit of fuzzy math). Regardless, her outlook tomorrow in Montana and South Dakota isn't likely to swing things much (if at all) for her.

So then the question becomes—when does Clinton back out (lots of conjecture here that she is already laying off staff, which her campaign denies) and after she backs out, how will she convincingly campaign for Obama.

There are many Clinton supporters who are, shall we say, somewhat less inclined to throw their support behind Obama. The idea is that Clinton will work to fix that. The problem lies in a) whether she really will and b) will it be believable. Right now, I hate to say that I have my doubts as to b. But I desperately hope that I am wrong.

Meanwhile, Obama has resigned from his church. I really don't see what this accomplishes. It strikes me as caving in to the lunatic righties, and it isn't likely to impress his followers or those thinking of voting for him. Maybe he just hoped that by quitting the church, Reverand Wright's remarks would become even more of a non-issue. Again, I have my doubts. The right is like a dog with a bone on this.

Is it really Monday again?

2 comments:

Rev Wes Isley said...

Surely Hillary will throw her support behind Obama in order to help unite the party. On one hand, I understand why she's dragged this out so long. Obama simply hasn't been able to win a sizeable majority. While some see Hillary as dividing the party because she won't bow out, I see it that she and Obama are simply reflecting the real divisions that exist within the Democratic party. A candidate with less money and a weaker constitution wouldn't certainly quit by now, but Hillary is obviously not that kind of candidate. However, the writing is on the wall and now is the time to call it quits. For the love of God, please, call it quits!

And to Obama leaving his church. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Yes, it bothers me that he stayed there so long--because what does that say about his true religious beliefs or his reasons for joining that church? And yet, should public opinion force any of us to change our religious affiliation? If so, what does that say about our faith? I'm sure Obama is trying to distance himself from Wright--and he's also trying to spare his church more unwelcome attention, which is probably best for everyone. Of course, if he does find another church, they'll get just as much scrutiny. I don't think this issue is going to die anytime soon, unfortunately.

creative kerfuffle said...

you know i'm not politically minded at all and though i read you religiously (no pun intended) i don't through in my 2 cents much. but, i think it's sad that he quit his church. it's sad that his beliefs were even an issue and i think sadder than he gave it up. though i can see needing to distance himself from wright, it still seems like he quit for the wrong reasons. i think i lost a little respect for him on this one.