Thursday, June 5, 2008

Editorial Comments

Me, being me, I have discovered the power and joy of venting my complaints by writing letters to the editor.

A couple of weeks ago my local paper ran a letter from a woman praising Senator Dole for her efforts on women's issues over her years in Washington. Liddy Dole may be many things, but she ain't a proponent of women's rights. I conferred with my local NOW chapter and we decided to pen a letter about Dole's true record.

That letter ran today and man you would not believe the emailed comments it has received on the paper's Web site! I have been called a baby killer and a man hater. Part of me is amused and another part is horrified (now might be the time to get an unlisted phone number methinks). I mean some of these letters are obviously written by delusional  nut jobs, some have a bit of coherence to them and others are just plain nasty. But there have been defenders of my letter as well and for that I am grateful. (Just for the record, I don't kill babies and I like most men just fine, thank you!)

I really wasn't trying to cause any trouble, I just wanted to clearly state the facts that during Dole's political career she opposed the Family Medical Leave Act (FLMA); voted against SCHIP six times, before finally saying yes to a health care coverage boost for underprivileged kids; reversed her initial support of the ERA; voted against the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, allowing women more than 180 days to file a suit for pay discrimination; and has been less than inclined to support reproductive rights. See? Bad record on women's issues.

And you thought today's post would be about Hillary Clinton!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did come here today looking for your take on "the Hillary situation." BTW, I liked your last post about Obama. I agree - I want the words. And I appreciate that they are generally delivered so eloquently in his case. In my opinion, Obama's (or anyone's) ability to articulate thoughts and convictions so brilliantly (which in his case are also heartfelt and well placed) is a direct reflection of a lucid and intelligent mind. And after the last seven years, that's clearly something we could use.

I read your letter and I glad you wrote it. I also read the comments, and I can understand why you may not be so happy to be trumpeting your name to the rabid masses. But the most rabid & delusional tend to hide behind their internet anonymity. Rest assured that speaking out was the right thing, and although your letter was not part of this blog, with your chosen avocation you must realize that dissent comes with the territory.

Keep thinking, talking, blogging…

broad minded said...

thanks for delurking chad! and thanks for the support!

Rev Wes Isley said...

You go, grrl! I'll have to go back and check out your letter. When I've written letters in the past on gay issues, John would always worry that there would be some fall-out. Fortunately, that was never the case. But it does tend to trigger the crazies into revealing their true selves...

But keep writing!