Monday, June 16, 2008

In Memoriam

Tim Russert
May 7, 1950—June 13, 2008

Nothing glib today, gentle readers. Broad minded is still in mourning for the late Tim Russert. Cover the mirrors and stop the clocks, journalism has lost a great voice.

I learned of Russert's truly untimely death during a longer than intended layover in Atlanta. I was stunned and bereft. Obviously I didn't know the man, but I had come to know the integrity and decency he brought to the political arena. Russert was not a mere pundit. He was a seeker of the truth; he was a paragon of honor; he was dedicated to reliability. It took every ounce of my hatred of public displays of emotion to not shed a tear. And it wasn't just me, the husband was equally devastated–unable to say anything more than "it was really sad" when I asked what they did on Meet the Press yesterday morning.

While Keith Olbermann's passion and righteous indignation arouses me and Chris Matthews' waggling jowls and blatant obsequiousness mixed with rampant sexism angers me, the stalwart Russert was always even keeled and judicious in his pursuit of fact. He informed me.

Meet the Press under Russert was an institution, one that has now lost its rudder. Who could possibly guide that ship in any manner remotely equal to Russerts'? I am at a loss for a news person today that has the same combination of steely resolve, goodness and intelligence. Tim Russert was unlike any other.

Condolences to his family and friends, as well as the media at large. We have all lost one of the last, great purveyors of journalism, of truth, of integrity.

Rest in Peace.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember the last time I was this sad about a "celebrity" death. Every time I turn on MSNBC I see a new remembrance about him that makes me tear up. What a good example he set, in so many ways.

MTP was worth watching but incredibly sad. Seeing Tom Brokaw choke up was like seeing my dad cry.

broad minded said...

I know. I think the Heath Ledger thing really struck me, because he was also too young, but for different reasons as well.
I hate that I missed MTP Sunday, but I don't know if I could have gotten through it.

And while it seems like the wrong thing to say, the other thing that strikes me as tragic about this, is here we are in the midst of this historic, exciting election and Russert won't know the outcome. That seems wrong.

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute.

The cliché (but true) phrase "they don't make 'em like that anymore" comes to mind. We will all miss him, and I will personally miss his presence on TV in the coming pre-election months.

Anonymous said...

You know, some of the commentators said that (about how said it is that he won't know how the election turned out), and then someone else said, no, in fact, he'll know first. Which, depending on your beliefs about heaven, could very well be true.

creative kerfuffle said...

broad--i've always know you were a good writer, but this was truly wonderful. heartfelt, well-written w/out being sappy, blah blah blah. really, really good.

broad minded said...

she blushes.