Friday, June 6, 2008

Working for the Weekend

I will pause now while you hum the tune and try and remember the words to the Loverboy song. Go on, you know you want to.

Now, I suppose it is time to weigh in on Clinton's will she or won't she concession topic du jour for this week. Obviously all signs point to yes that she is going to "suspend" not stop her campaign effective tomorrow. What this means is she gets to keep her delegates although they of course can certainly defect. It is more of a bid for respect, which is frankly what I think this whole tap dance this week has been about.

Clinton wants to be acknowledged for her efforts; for getting closer to the nomination than any woman ever has; being as qualified, if not more than Obama; her supporters who have pinned years of repression and sexism as well as all their future hopes and dreams on her.

Clinton isn't going gentle into that good night, she is most definitely raging against the dying of the light (thank you Dylan Thomas). And I honestly can't say I blame her. Part of me hates that she has dragged this on and kind of turned things into a circus but another part of me is grateful that she not only gave ALL Americans a voice in our primary elections this year by staying in the race, but that she had the guts to not be cowed. Because in reality folks, this was a very, very, very close race. For the longest time it could have gone either way and Clinton has earned the right to fight until the finish.

Whether or not Obama picks her for VP—something I highly doubt he will—Clinton has assured her place in history. And as a senator she can only take on more importance and seniority after this moment in the spotlight. That is a good thing for the people of New York and the nation as a whole. Don't be fooled by my trumpeting of Obama in recent weeks. Clinton is truly an impressive individual and she has much to offer our country in public service. I for one, wish her a long and storied career.

Btw, I love that the two candidates managed to give the press the slip to meet privately last night. I hope they made some progress toward reconciliation. Because the only that is important now is insuring that McCain doesn't get into the White House come November. Eyes on the prize, Violet. Eyes on the prize.

No comments: