Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Got Your Rebate Yet?

Well doggies, would you lookie here. News came out today that MILLIONS of dollars in tax rebates might not be going out in the mail after all. Why you ask? Because the people they are supposed to be going to owe Uncle Sam back taxes, owe child support or have bailed on a student loan. 

Now we can argue all day about whether this is right or not, but it seems to me that if the government makes a big hoorah about handing out cash to citizens they might want to add the caveat that if you owe them money, aren't paying your child support or skipped out on repaying your student loan you won't be getting your check. 

I mean I am all for slack child support payers getting hit, but something of this, no matter how justified the government may be in not sending this money out, seems like a bit of a bait and switch to me. 

There is also a whole host of things that people and their tax advisors may have inadvertently done that can cause their checks to be delayed. USAToday has a story on that here and here. There is also the fact that some retirees and veterans still might be missing out on as well. So all in all, I am still not a fan of this rebate thing. That being said . . . where the FREAK is my check???


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that can happen with regular tax refunds too - a friend of mind hasn't gotten a refund in years because her husband owes back taxes. So it's not just the stim checks. You would think that people who fell into this category probably knew it ahead of time; but it was easy to get caught up in the ballyhoo and forget the nasty reality.

Oh, and I finally got mine last week - a good month after I was scheduled to. And the letter telling me how much I'd get came Monday. Yeesh.