Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A New Day

I briefly considered posting late (for me!) last night after my viewing of Sex and the City because my mind was a whirl. Bad news from friends, good news from another, a fun night out at a chick flick and then a few minutes of Obama's victory speech where all churning in my head making me feel lucky to have the life I have and hopeful that things are on the verge of getting better.

I admit it, I can be a bit of a cock-eyed optimist, which is especially freakish considering my level of sarcasm. I must be some Darwinistic mutant rarity because generally these two traits don't coexist in one person (Said in hushed tones, "And here we have the ever reclusive sarcastic optimist. The origins of this unique creature are unknown, but much like other odd animals such as the platypus, this hybrid mammal is an ironic grouser with a pollyanna-ish grasp of reality—a rare mix in the animal kingdom with little or no rhyme or reason.")

My point being, Obama's speech gave me pause in that it was one of those moments where you could feel the history books being updated. Like when I was in the third grade and they brought a TV into the classroom so we could watch the shuttle take off because it was still a big deal then. Or on the tragic side, the disbelief that kept me glued to my TV, yet again, on September 11.

Many people will disagree with me about Obama's place in this pantheon of events, and many others will grumble that he is all words and no action at this point. Maybe that is the case, maybe not, but for me, at this point in my life, I want the words, I need the hope and I crave the possibility that things will get better.

No comments: