Wednesday, June 25, 2008

TeleCON

I am not a fan of the latest FISA bill that Congress is pushing forward. And I am most disappointed in Obama's decision to back the bill. 

Chris Dodd (aided by Russ Feingold) has been tireless in his efforts to stave this monstrosity off but I am afraid he is just a modern Sisyphus about to be crushed. I mean when you have the likes of Steny Hoyer, one of my personal faves in the political arena (see why here, here, and here) has argued that the Democrats made the wise move by voting for the FISA changes, because it takes it off the table as an election issue for November.

My understanding of the bill is probably somewhat limited, admittedly, but what I object strongly to is the immunity it is giving the telecoms for whatever snooping they have done (and bear in mind this is retrograde so this is definitely a CYA moment for Ma Bell, etc.), as well as the way the bill eviscerates the 4th Amendment.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

In his speech on the Senate floor last night, Dodd put the bill in its proper place, linking it to the ongoing, and not expected behavior of the Bush Administration, ignoring the Constitution at will and making laws up to cover their ass as they go along.

Obama has said that he is against the retroactive immunity and will fight to have it removed, but overall he is cool with the bill. He says it is a marked improvement over the Protect America Act proposed last year, and hopefully it is. And despite Obama saying this:

"It is not all that I would want. But given the legitimate threats we face, providing effective intelligence collection tools with appropriate safeguards is too important to delay. So I support the compromise, but do so with a firm pledge that as President, I will carefully monitor the program, review the report by the Inspectors General, and work with the Congress to take any additional steps I deem necessary to protect the lives — and the liberty — of the American people."

I like Obama, obviously, but power does strange things to people and I am not much comforted by these assurances.

But getting back to Hoyer's point, the husband on a somewhat different line of thinking feels that it is a good thing that Obama is going along with this, which should another attack on U.S. soil or citizens happen, the GOP won't be able to come back and shove the Democrats noses in it during the election. While I see his point, I don't doubt the Republicans ability to distort anything to suit their agenda. I mean when you have a Charlie Black, senior advisor to McCain, say that another terrorist attack (before the election) would help get the Arizona senator in the Oval Office it isn't a big leap to think that the GOP wouldn't LOVE to use something like that against Obama and the Democrats.

No comments: