Monday, June 9, 2008

Recount

I had caught bits and pieces of HBO's Recount but finally managed to watch the whole thing on Sunday. Regardless of who you think or hoped won the 2000 election, I think it is a sad state of affairs that our voters weren't allowed a true and accurate account of Florida's votes in that election. It seems pretty clear cut to me, that when an election is that close, everything should be double checked regardless of partisan politics. That simply wasn't the case. 

I suppose politics will always be a dirty and dangerous business, but I hope we never see the level of abuse that was on display in Florida in November 2000. Those were truly sad days for our democratic process, the history of our belief in democracy and our nation's integrity on the world stage as a great democracy.

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

i havet his dvred too but haven't watched it yet.