Friday, October 31, 2008

Proselytizing

I had an exchange yesterday that left me perplexed, a friend, someone who I never thought would have strong feelings either way politically, informed me that they were clearly in the McCain camp and would never be able to vote for Obama. When I queried the friend as to why they felt that way, the friend said they didn't care to discuss it because they didn't like debating with friends and it would accomplish nothing.

I am torn on how to feel about this. Part of me thinks that the days were people did not talk about politics or religion in polite society may have had something on us today. On the flip side, I feel that a lively discourse not only is good for promoting a full understanding of the issues at hand, but can also be a heck of a good time.

Now I admit that I often cross the line between debating and converting. For that I offer my apologies, but I won't apologize for passionately believing in what I believe. And perhaps that is what perplexes me the most here—not wanting to defend your beliefs. That to me is one of the sacred rights I have as an American.


3 comments:

Rev Wes Isley said...

I agree--this is weird. If someone asked me my opinion, I would take that as an indication they would listen, even if they disagreed.

Oddly, John and I had a quasi-similar conversation the other day. Long story, but essentially, my response was, "If I can't be passionate about politics in front of my *darling* husband, then who gets to appreciate the fire? It musn't go to waste!"

broad minded said...

yes to both points!

creative kerfuffle said...

i bet i know which friend it was : ) i think people don't want to discuss it because they don't want to feel stupid if you are smarter than them on the subject and that maybe their opinions are more firmly rooted in their feelings rather than in what they actually KNOW? i'm just guessing since i think you're talking about sunshine and this is what i think her thought process would be.