Tuesday, September 2, 2008

40 Weeks

It is a common myth that a pregnancy lasts nine months. Actually it is 10 if you count it the way doctors do. A baby is full term at 40 weeks. Sarah Palin's daughter is half way through her pregnancy, but as all parents know, for most people, those 40 weeks are the easy part.

I refuse to cast stones at a 17 year old. She made a mistake; she has made her decision on how to handle that; and I wish her patience and perseverance. She will need both in truckloads in the months and years ahead.

There have been a lot of other rumors circulating about whether Palin's youngest child is her own or her daughter's. And of course there is speculation as to whether or not McCain knew about her daughter's pregnancy when he tapped Palin as his VP pick.

We don't know for sure, and may never. I have even heard talk that McCain really wanted Lieberman but his aides balked and McCain raged and eventually Palin was chosen at the last moment. Maybe she was fully vetted in advance, maybe she wasn't.

The real crux of the issue is what the woman stands for, what she knows and could she take the reins of running the free world, should McCain keel over. I could give a crap if her daughter is knocked up, although I don't appreciate the sanctimonious statements coming from the right about abortion as a result of this. And I do have to say that if the religious right is won over to McCain, someone they have admitted major reservations about in the past simply because his running mate choose to have a handicapped child and didn't urge her underage daughter to have an abortion than their priorities are more skewed than I thought. While I freely admit that a candidate's stand on abortion plays into whether or not I vote for them, it is about much more than that. Palin and her family's life choices do not fundamentally change John McCain.

Here is a story that references several Alaskan papers and what they have said about Palin, the pregnancy of her daughter and Palin's record:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ten weeks to go, and already my head is exploding. I just don't know if I can take it.

Here I thought we needed to be thinking about the economy, the war, global climate change and new energy technologies, etc. But apparently I was wrong. The important issues in this election are gun ownership and the promise of repealing a woman's right to control her body. Yep - those are the real issues.

And will someone please explain to me how and why people can go around saying Miss Wasilla is more qualified for the white house than Mr. Obama on account of experience? And how can one ignore the entire package of criteria used to judge a presidential candidate (like intelligence, especially), not the least of which is the his or her party's platform? Heavens to murgatoid…

must…stop…typing………head…explo…ding………