Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Humming a Happy Tune

My buddy in the blog-o-sphere, Creative Kerfuffle, recently requested her friends to send her their fave tunes for her to download. This of course set me off on a musical journey that harkens back to my days as a dj at my beloved alma mater.


My mind has been like a hyper juke box the past several days, thinking of songs and bands that I love. Meanwhile, the CD player in my kitchen has had the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album on repeat. Listening to it while cooking or eating made me realize just how perfect an album it is. Each song flows into the next and even the songs that you may not think are on the same par (such as "Getting Better" or "Lovely Rita" although I defy you to get either one our of your head once you start humming them) truly stack up and hold their own with the openly brilliant tunes (i.e. "A Day in the Life").

Me being me, I tried to think of other albums that had the same flow and consistency and level of greatness. The first one that popped into my head was U2's The Joshua Tree. Like Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion, it doesn't have a weak link. Separately the songs are great, but put together they are nothing short of mind blowing.

Anyone got other suggestions?

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i will have to give this proper thought. off the top of my head i'm thinking the eagles' hotel california and train's my private nation. i will have to ponder this one though.

Anonymous said...

I think that Nirvana's "Nevermind" is brilliant. And one of my favorites is the obscure Buffalo Tom's "Let Me Come Over". When I was younger, I would put that CD on tape, plug it into my Walkman and go running forever. That is when I used to run for exercise and not when being chased like I do now!