Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Grasping for the Right Words

Political analyst Paul Begala yesterday on CNN's The Situation Room:

"Part of presidential leadership is stagecraft and inspirational leadership.

Ronald Reagan had that in spades. I think my old boss Bill Clinton gave a pretty good talk. And so does Senator Obama. I think it is a big part. The ability to move the nation with words from whichever side of the aisle you happen to be on is very important.

I think after—look, we have had George W. Bush for almost eight years, seven-and-a-half years, and watching that poor man try to finish a sentence is like watching a fat drunk guy trying to cross an icy street."

I think Begala might have nailed it with that last sentence. I know I was laughing my ass off when I heard it. And it certainly goes a long way in explaining quotes like this one:

"It's very interesting when you think about it, the slaves who left here to go to America, because of their steadfast and their religion and their belief in freedom, helped change America."
George W. Bush in Dakar, Senegal, July 8, 2003

Nice one Dubya! 196 days . . .

2 comments:

Rev Wes Isley said...

"...like watching that poor man try to finish a sentence is like watching a fat drunk guy trying to cross an icy street."

Priceless and oh so true!

broad minded said...

I couldn't agree more. And whether Begala had that comment in his back pocket or thought it up on the fly . . . que bueno.