Monday, January 5, 2009

The Long Cold Wait

I know that the posts of late have not been what you would call substantial, but that gentle readers is about to end.

Often, when on vacation, cut off from the "real world" I find myself thinking 'This is good. I could do this forever. No news, no current events, no gossip, no scandals, no tragedies.' And then in one night I have dreams that Ben Franklin is a pedophile and that I am trapped in the FOXNews headquarters (just as possible examples, mind you) and I realize that while my conscious thinks it can quit the real world, my subconscious knows better. So here is hoping that today's post brings a dreamless night of repose.

Which brings me to Bill Richardson's withdrawal as incoming Secretary of Commerce. Now I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but something smells fishy to me and it ain't exactly week old sushi. I liked Richardson for the most part, not for president mind you, but he seemed like a decent politician, as those sorts go, and the beard, frankly endeared him to me even more (yes I have a thing for facial hair, I blame Grizzly Adams). So what am I missing that he thinks this investigation, for which he claims to have done nothing wrong, would hamper his confirmation in a Congress that is, for all extents and purposes, ruled by fellow Dems? I mean I applaud selflessness, but I didn't think it was a quality most politicians had in abundance.

Something tells me we will be hearing more dirt about all of this before it is all over.

2 comments:

Rev Wes Isley said...

I agree about Richardson! Surely Obama isn't already so skittish about even a whiff of controversy that he pressured R to bow out. There must be more to it.

And I'm glad to finally be finding time to catch up on your blog! It does a body good to vent!

broad minded said...

yes i find it keeps my blood pressure somewhat lower. that and imagining i was adopted . . .