Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Up From the Primordial Swamp

I like to assume, that you, my gentle readers, are educated folk. But perhaps you lack my love of useless trivia. For instance, did you know that Washington, D.C. was built from a swamp. Explains a lot about our political system today doesn't it?

Nonetheless, I had the opportunity to visit our nation's capital yesterday on business (nothing like an up and back in one day trip). And I wished that I had more time to explore the city. This is my third visit to D.C. in the past four or five years. The first was for my father-in-law's funeral service at Arlington in August. That wasn't pleasant. The second was for a NOW training session when I was about six months pregnant. Again, no real time for fun.

This trip didn't give me any fun time either. But I did get to see an amazing view of the Mall, from the Capital to the Lincoln Memorial as the plane took off. It was almost sunset too. Wow.


3 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

awesome photo. i've never been to dc and want to go, soon, and take the kids. i hate one day trips.

Anonymous said...

I first heard about the swamp thing while reading Gore Vidal's great historical novel Burr, (a book I highly recommend). And yeah, DC is indeed a cool city. Pretty in the spring with the cherry blossoms and all. Lots of great things to see, and it's all pretty much free - which is probably why my family vacationed there a few times when I was a kid. Last time I was there, I watched them print tons of money at the Bureau of Printing & Engraving. I'm sure they are keeping that place busy these days, what with all the cash needed for corporate handouts.

Anyway, they've got some great restaurants, too. So go visit your nation's capital soon!

Rev Wes Isley said...

I guess I knew you were there--didn't I? I've been twice but would like to return. Lots of fun things to do.