Wednesday, November 12, 2008

First Comes Love

I have always felt that sexuality exists on some sort of continuum–that there is no such thing as 100% heterosexual or homosexual, just variations on a theme if you will. (Trust me, this isn't my only crazy idea—I also believe [apologies to my Christian readers] that there might be something to reincarnation, if for no other reason than it is like recycling and why would god be so wasteful as to not reuse a life force?)

Anyway, I guess what I mean is that someone could be 80% heterosexual and 20% homosexual. Think about it. If you close your eyes and only touch someone with your lips (no whiskers to clue you in) you have no way of knowing if you are kissing a guy or girl. A kiss is a kiss is a kiss. I get that there are other body parts involved, but hopefully you get my drift.

This theory is just one of the reasons I was incredibly saddened by the decisions in California, Arizona and Florida to add state constitutional bans on gay marriage. Not to mention the fact that by the time the spawn is grown this will no longer be an issue, the majority of people younger than me now don't care, by the time the spawn votes, fewer will care. And like the spawn, many will have grown up with gay relatives in committed relationships.

I heard someone on Air America explain it like this (I think it was Randi Rhodes, but I am not certain)—this isn't an issue about whether or not you think being gay is right or wrong. This is a civil rights issue. Simply put, by saying that someone can't get married, be they gay or black or whatever, you are denying them a right that others possess. That is illegal in out country. Remember when the Supreme Court struck down the whole "separate but equal" argument with schools? Same thing here.

Finally, there is my crush du jour's heartfelt plea, do unto others indeed . . .


2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i could not agree more broad. i'm actually probably more liberal on this than many because i think gay couples should also be able to get married in church if they are so inclined and they should be able to adopt children. i struggle w/ the religious thoughts on this because in my mind, god doesn't discriminate (at least i don't think so) so why should we?

Rev Wes Isley said...

Can I marry Keith? Oh no, wait, I can't.

And I'm totally with you on the reincarnation/recycling thing. Makes total sense.