Thursday, November 6, 2008

An Ode to China





In addition to all things political I have a deep and abiding love for all things tabletop ever since my days as a lowly minion at a national bridal magazine. Say what gentle reader? You don't know what tabletop is? Tabletop refers to all the stuff you use on your table, plates, glasses and utensils, although typically I would say the name evokes more of the china, crystal, silver realm of things than the Chinet, Solo, Dixie side of things.

So it saddened me today to read that the co-mingling of two giants in the world of tabletop, Royal Worcester and Spode, had declared bankruptcy. Go home and hug your Spode Christmas pattern, I know I will.


4 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

sadly there are so many companies filing bankruptcy. if crayola ever files i will seriously go into mourning.
(my word verify is distickk--as in, ma can you get distickk outa my har?)

Rev Wes Isley said...

My friend who collects china is probably in mourning!

Better put in your reserve order at Replacements now.

Wez said...

Say it ain't so. I mean who will protect all those patterns?

broad minded said...

it is a tragedy for all things porcelain, fo sho.