Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Axing the Boys

Maybe I just need to stop reading Newsweek?

The April 20th issue ran a piece by Zachary Karabell that said the current unemployment woes were not affecting the sexes or the classes equally. That in fact, more minority men were getting the ax then anyone else.

Now admittedly my friendships with minority males is lacking in numbers, and I work in a professional/white collar world, but I see mostly women getting laid off around me. (And yes, this may have more to do with the fact that I have more female friends than male.) So what gives?

And in other less than cheery news, my home state got a nod from the Washington Post recently as having the highest percent of uninsured residents as a result of recent job losses. Yahoo! We are Number One! Even in this article, the person interviewed is a woman. (Although I suppose you could go on that old chestnut that women are more likely to seek regular healthcare than men.)

Are the laid off men just less vocal? What is going on here?

No comments: