Thursday, August 6, 2009

RIP John Hughes

"Sweetheart, you couldn't ignore me if you tried."

And with that, my heart was forever stolen by the groups of dysfunctional, Chicago-based teens that traipsed through John Hughes movies. From Sixteen Candles to The Breakfast Club to Ferris Bueller's Day Off, my coming of age happened to the images that Mr. Hughes placed before me on the big screen. I wanted to be the princess and the basket case, I wanted to have the balls to escape and have the adventure of a lifetime in one day, and I longed to construct my own prom gown from vintage dresses and roar off in my pink Kharman Ghia (still a fantasy to this day). Unfortunately, none of that was to be. But I did pierce my ear a second time in homage to Molly Ringwald, I did studiously court the bad boys until I realized that it was no longer in my best interest hoping one would turn into Judd Nelson, and I did pretend I was daring by the occasional attempt at a Chinese firedrill on a deserted road.

So rest in peace John Hughes, this is one Gen-Xer that will miss you.

Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong, but we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...and an athlete...and a basket case...a princess...and a criminal.

Does that answer your question?... Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

what? he died? holy shit. those movies shaped my teen years. i always wanted to be molly ringwald.

Anonymous said...

This is one post-gen-x-er who will miss him, too.

I'm a few years past the optimal Hughes demographic audience, but I'm a huge fan. Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a minor masterpiece, and Molly - well Miss Ringwald can do no wrong in my book. The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, and so many others. If John had not stepped up to be the cinematic voice for this generation, who would have? No one, I'm thinking. And he did it so well, with so much humor and love. I will miss him and always appreciate his work.