Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dr. West, I Presume

Dr. Cornel West—have you ever heard this man speak? Sometimes it is hard to follow what he is saying because you get so caught up in the rhythm of his words. And it doesn't help that he uses some pretty big words.

The May 28, 2009 issue of Rolling Stone has a pretty thorough article/interview with Dr. West. Dude ain't an angel, and he has some issues, but I can't help but be intrigued by the way the wheels turn in his head.

For instance, when he talks about his idea of what democracy is and how it takes people who are poetic (and not in the verse-writing sense) to shake things up, use their imagination and get the rest of us out of our own little worlds.

We need that. Lord knows I do, gentle reader. I often find myself moved to thought, action, and daring by the beliefs, words, and deeds of another. I have friends and acquaintances who I consider much better people than I am and who possess this almost otherworldly quality to think beyond themselves. I sadly seem to be lacking in that department, but when I am around those people, or reading the thoughts of someone like Dr. West, I can't help, but for a minute, shake off my own "little iron cage" as West refers to it and for a moment, no matter how brief, become a better person capable of so much more.

I guess the key is to make those moments last for longer periods of time.

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

uh, do i know any of those friends who think beyond themselves? hmmm, racking my brain here.