Saturday, May 30, 2009

Work Sucks.

I know there are all kinds of things going on with the Supreme Court pick (seriously people, she wasn't being racist with that comment, and if the boneheads at FOX had a longer than 30 second attention span and an OUNCE of sense they would know that—on the bright side, if this is all they have got on the woman than obviously she is a pretty sweet choice), and then there are the missile things in North Korea (oddly enough I have a friend that was just in South Korea last week while this nonsense started, I need to talk to her and see what living through that was like), so things are hectic on the world stage. But since I am finding it harder and harder to stay as super-connected to the world at large since I am no longer chained to a laptop 40 hours a week, I am not going to get into that right now.

What I am going to talk about is a book I recently read a review of—The Pleasures and Sorrows of Work by Alain de Botton. Dontcha just know dude is British. What intrigued me was that in the review is that the book apparently tries to dispell the myth that a job should feel good, that it is fun. Think about it. Most introductions to new people start off by saying "What do you do?" I mean please! And then we look down our noses at them if they say they are a sanitation worker. Admit it, I know that I do.

But being home has made me think about this. As I mentioned earlier, I don't miss work. I don't even super miss being able to say "I'm an editor." I mean yes I am, but I am more than that too. We are all more than what we do, we are the sum of our parts, be those parts mom or dad, single or married, tall or short, loud or quiet, democrat or republican. No one thing defines any of us, or at least it shouldn't.

And according to Mr. de Botton sometimes a job should simply be a job. Maybe we all need to stop thinking of our employment as our soul defining purpose in life and simply as a means to an end.

3 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

ah...welcome to the other side my friend : ) it is a bit liberating isn't it? i don't know how to explain the feeling of peace, despite the fact that i need to find something to make money. weird huh?

broad minded said...

VERY. I am seriously hoping I can swing a way to just be "self-employed" . . .

Rev Wes Isley said...

Wise words, oh great Jedi Master. Think on this I will.