Friday, December 5, 2008

Wrong Direction

Seeing as how my gas gauge was dipping into the negative territory (I don't know what it is, but I loathe getting gas, not because of having to pay for it, but because I hate to actually get out of the car, pump it and pay. Back when I had my BP card it was somewhat better because at least I could pay at the pump. But since BP is dead to me, those days are over.) I thought it might be time to stop and fill up.

The spouse, who always seems to have cash on hand, proffered $20 since I am currently between currency and off I went. And dang if that $20 didn't practically fill up my wee car.

Unless you have been visiting a sister planet, we all know that gas flirted for awhile with the $4 mark, but today I purchased my plus unleaded for the bargain basement price of $1.77 a gallon.

You would think this would make me happy, but au contraire, gentle reader. Gas prices going down sends the entirely wrong message to the American consumer. Listen I get that things are not so shiny, happy out there. I hear the news, but gas prices going down is not the answer, it is like giving a heroin addict, meth. Sure they aren't on smack anymore, but they haven't exactly gotten clean. We need gas prices to stay up so industry and the consumers are more motivated to find alternatives. I say this not only so we can stop destroying our planet, yes I crunch like that, but also so we no longer have to kowtow to the countries with the oil. Becoming energy independent, developing the necessary technology to make that happen, is one of the few (if not only ways) the U.S. is going to retain our superpower status.

5 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i'm sure the hubs would have more insight on this that i, but i have to admit, i liked filling up the other day and paying $1.69 a gallon, or galon as the station across the street from mine is wont to say. sheesh. break out a dictionary.

broad minded said...

it ain't that i didn't like it. i just know that it is not the solution. america needs some tough love right now, and frankly, gas under $2 is like giving my ne'r do well step daughter money to help pay her bills—acts of charity like that don't exactly encourage her (ie america) to get off their asses and get a real job (ie fix this shit).

Anonymous said...

I agree, Broad ... the higher gas prices were encouraging people to be more efficient and now that incentive is gone. It makes me nervous. Though I did hear on the radio that even with the lower prices, demand for gas is down 3%. (I wasn't listening hard enough to hear what time periods were being compared - not so good at the listening comprehension.)

I, personally, will be glad when the focus shifts from "dependence on foreign oil" to "dependence on oil, period." Whether it comes from Texas or Timbuktu, there's a limited supply of it.

Rev Wes Isley said...

I agree. There was all this talk on alternative fuels and so on, and now it seems to have disappeared.

But check around for lower prices. I'm usually not one to "shop," but I bought gas at Gate last week for $1.63!

broad minded said...

well now that i am no longer BP's bitch i guess my gas options are wide open. yeah me.