Friday, January 15, 2010

37 Candles

I have made no bones about my long and illustrious fascination with Molly Ringwald. From her red locks to her two piercings in one ear to the grunge-era ode to her by the band Sponge, I love me some of the Brat Pack Princess. I thought the closest I would ever come to being like Ms. Ringwald would be a result of a box of Ms. Clairol and my mother not buying me a birthday present when I was 17 until I cried at the local fish restaurant and guilted her into taking me to the video store for a VHS copy of Help! starring the Fab Four (John, Paul George and Ringo, will never, I repeat NEVER let you down).

But alas, as James Bond so helpfully reminds us, Never Say Never Again. Thirty seven years and about 1 hour and 45 minutes ago on a Monday evening I entered the world, if my mother's recollection is to be trusted. Then again, she could have me confused with my brother's birth. Regardless, this birthday I was forgotten. I got calls from my brother, my mother-in-law, my step-daughter, my step-step-son, my grad school friend, and my next door neighbor. That doesn't include the countless greetings from people I barely knew in college who I am friends with on Facebook. But my mother—nothing.

So kiddies, when it comes time for your grown-ass children to hit their 37th, 57th or 87th, if you are still walking the Earth, I prey that you do not forget them. Because whether you are 16 or any age, having your mom forget your birthday SUCKS BALLS.

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i am wondering if the fact that you wrote "i prey" and not "i pray" has any significance? : ) and, holy hell, yes, that does suck big donkey balls. wow. i am sorry gp. really sorry. my thought, at this point in life while my kids are still living w/ me, is that when they move out of the house i am going to call them (if i do not in fact see them in person and maybe even if i do) every year at the exact time they were born. for the boy this is no biggie cos that's 11:21 am, for the girl it blows cos that's 1:14 am : ) he he he
oh, and your bday card will probably get there (if not today) then tues. cos i mailed it late.

broad minded said...

No that was merely a typographical hiccup. Or a Freudian slip. She called today and apologized and like the wuss I am said I wasn't mad.

And I did get your card today and should have mentioned it made me laugh out loud. So many thanks . . .